Saturday, August 31, 2013

Final EQ Summer Sew Along Block

Well, it was a lot of fun and I learned a lot during the EQ7 Summer Drawing Series challenge. I just hope I can retain some of the things I was able to do. This month, the coolest thing was discovering the Swath tool--awesome!
This month's block combined Easy Draw and Patch Draw--combining piecing and applique elements. 

The swath tool makes a curved line into flying geese--you can see mine at the upper left.
I'm not sure what I was doing wrong--
I couldn't get my pick tool to remove the corners of the top "goose" to make a point.
Because of time issues, I only made the first block in the August lessons. 

These are all my blocks together!
I thought a lot about what I should do with them.
I hated to see them end up in the orphan block bag as another UFO.
Aha!
My Number One for Connie's UFO Challenge was to get some place mats made for Meals on Wheels.
Every year, the Pinetree Patchworkers guild donates over 100 place mats to Meals on Wheels that will be distributed with the Christmas meal in the Brainerd Lakes area.
These blocks are the perfect size to make into place mats!

Here they are ready to be quilted.
I'm not sure if I will bind them or just turn them. I pretty much used up all the fabrics I used to make them, so they will probably end up just turned and quilted. It will be fun to practice my quilting on these.
I just heard from Stephanie that my HQ16 upgrades arrived at the shop and are ready to be installed--yee haw!!

I'm almost caught up with Words to Live By--only one block behind now!

3 comments:

  1. Those are great blocks! Very generous of you to donate them in that manner. Love the PG block as well. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All your blocks are wonderful Karen! I'm so impressed that you've already made them into placemats and have such a nice place to donate them. Thanks for sewing along with us!

    ReplyDelete