Thursday, January 30, 2014

A UFO Finish for 2014!

Since I've been kind of dragging this week, I don't have a lot to show for my efforts. 
I had Ring of Stars on the HQ16 for over a month. The plan was to have it finished by the end of December, but instead, it is a big finish for the end of January!
moosebaymuses
You may remember me showing this back in October before quilting.
 I worked on it at retreat and finished up when I got home. 
moosebaymuses
Here it is now, all quilted, bound and labeled--yay!
Ring of Stars from the J/F 2011 issue of McCall's Quilting.
measures 70" x 94"

moosebaymuses
I did a lot of ruler work on it and a bit of free motion inside the stars.
My machine really likes Glide thread and it looks so pretty with a bit of shine.
 

moosebaymuses
This week's Quilty Fun block--honey combs AKA snowballs.

11 comments:

  1. I made this same quilt several years ago using blues. Not sure where pattern came from but it had you make large blocks with the stars formed by the slashing. I had to unpick 4 patches that were incorrectly placed more than once. I quilted it, bound it and onlyTHEN noticed that I could have made star blocks with alternate blocks-SO SIMPLE. Duh!, yours looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate autocorrect! Stars formed by SASHING!!!!not slashing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always amazed how a simple combination of block parts can create a cool secondary design. The little thumbnail picture of your quilt that shows up on blog lists clearly, boldly shows circles formed by the points of the stars and the angled light squares. Totally cool! Love your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very beautiful quilt Karen - Congratulations on the finish. Love your little Redbird Pin Cushion!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely, lovely quilt, Karen--all thoseshades of red--it really came out beautifully. And I like those snowballs hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  6. The quilt looks to be good size. Many red fabrics made into stars. A very good combination.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this quilt! I think I need to make one too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful quilt and I love the colors/fabrics you choose. I enlarged the picture to see your quilting - very nice!!! I have an HQ Avante ( almost a year now), but haven't tackled much very motion. You are very inspiring!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this quilt. I remember this quilt in the magazine. So glad to see yours, very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete