Friday, March 6, 2015

Work in Progress....

I have a little progress to report on my Austen Family Album quilt:
Putting the blocks together with the sashing and setting triangles thankfully went smoothly.
I always cut the setting and corner triangles larger than needed and somehow they end up the right size--what's up with that?

I decided to use my darkest blue for a narrow inner border.
Some of the blocks have this blue in them, so I felt I needed to have it in the inner border (and possibly the binding) to draw the eye away from those few spots in the blocks. They seem to be a little distracting in person--not so bad in the photos.

I have my border pieces all laid out.
I needed to have a 6" border so I can use the last 4 blocks as cornerstones.

The best part of the piano key border is that it used up almost every bit of the fabric in the bin--yay!
Another tub bites the dust!
Linking up with WIP's Be Gone HERE

9 comments:

  1. So many pieces to those blocks! I admire your piecing skills, Karen. Love the colorway. I'm going to have to make something in blue and white. Thanks for linking to WIPs Be Gone. Now I'm off to see your quilt in Hand Stitching Heaven - that is another beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do the same thing in cutting the corners larger. I usually do the same with the side pieces for an on-point quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so fresh and pretty. Nice border choices.
    Must feel good to make something so lovely and empty a bin besides! : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Karen! This quilt is looking great and how fabulous you have used every last scrap in the border! Looking forward to seeing it finished!! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. That border is going to be spectacular ... I can't wait to see it all together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love your quilt. Two color quilts are my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just beautiful, I too love the colors you used! Going to look back through your posts to see the "evolution" of this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loving that piano key border--lovely soft yellow and blues...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  9. The layout for this quilt top works really well. Great work with all the sashing.
    The blue works well as the inner border. Good luck finishing up the piano keys.

    ReplyDelete